Organic beauty products are in demand, most especially those that include the ever so amazing coconut oil. Not only are people around the world using it for cooking, they are using it in their daily lives as a hair conditioner, furniture cleaner, and our favorite: teeth whitener.
Here are 15 health and beauty benefits of coconut oil you should try:
- Hair Conditioner: Combine organic coconut oil with extra virgin olive oil and apply it to your hair. Massage the mixture into your scalp, then wrap your hair in a shower cap and keep it on overnight. In the morning, wash your hair with shampoo to get rid of all excess oils. Your hair will be shiny, soft and smooth.
- Body Moisturizer: Coconut oil is a great way to moisturize your body, especially after shaving. Feel free to drench your body from head to toe in coconut oil. Your skin will absorb all the oils and nutrients the healthy oil offers.
- Homemade Deodorant: Head to the kitchen and mix baking soda, cornstarch and coconut oil well until smooth. You can also add essential oils to improve the scent if desired. Store the mixture in a cool place and indulge in the benefits of natural deodorant.
- Tanning Oil: If your skin does NOT burn easily, coconut oil can be used as a great tanning aid. You can get a quick and easy tan using coconut oil, it can give you that sun-kissed glow you've always wanted in the Summer.
- Body Scrub: Add one-fourth cup of sugar to a half cup of coconut oil for a homemade body scrub. It can remove dead skin and leave your body feeling silky smooth.
- Teeth Whitening System: The art of "oil pulling" which consists of swishing raw coconut oil around in your mouth for 20 minutes to whiten your teeth, has been around for decades. Try if for 14 days and watch your teeth become shades whiter.
- Lip Balm: If you mix coconut oil with Vaseline it can act as a natural lip balm. It can take some time to take effect, but your lips will eventually start feeling smoother.
- Anti-frizz treatment: If you have naturally frizzy hair, put a drop of oil in your hand and smooth it onto those fly-aways and the ends of your hair to tame the frizz. It works miracles!
- Homemade soap: Combining lye, water, coconut oil and other essential oils together will make solid bar of soap. Using that soap everyday will give your skin a softer and cleaner feel.
- Makeup remover: If you have dry skin, try using coconut oil as an everyday makeup remover. Not only does it succeed at taking off all that makeup and dirt, but it works to refine your skin at the end of the day. An easy way to kill two birds with one stone.
- Shaving cream: Coconut oil serves as a good alternative to shaving cream, especially if you get razor bumps easily. The oil will help prevent skin irritation. Be prepared to clean your razor well if you use this method, and take your time shaving so you don't miss any spots.
- Bath oil: Put a bit of coconut oil in your bath water and you will absolutely love how soft and supple your skin feels after.
- Aromatherapy: The scent of coconut oil can help alleviate headaches and other bodily pains. For example, when I have a headache, I mix coconut oil and lavender and massage it into my temples and the back of my neck to help relieve the pain.
- Combats ageing: Coconut oil may not be the fountain of youth, but it does help with wrinkles and age spots. It won’t make ageing disappear all together, but it can make those spots become less visible to the eye over time.
- Cosmetic glow: One of my favorite uses of coconut oil is using it as a makeup highlighter. If you want to add a little shine to your look, spritz some of the oil on your cheekbones to give yourself a natural glow.